Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Movie Love - Steph's Top 5 Halloween Movies

What better way to get in the spirit of a holiday than partaking in some seasonal films. For wusses like me, however, there are limited choices for Halloween movies out there that won't give me night terrors for...the rest of my life. So, here are my top 5 fun Halloween movies, (mostly) terror free.

Number 5: Ghostbusters

As I am writing this, I am listening to the theme song to Ghostbusters. The entire soundtrack was a family favorite on long car trips during my formative years. I have a soft spot for the goofy guys just trying to keep New York ghost free.

Number 4: Sleepy Hollow

Ok, I have to admit, this one DID creep me out when I watched it. Christopher Walken is a freakin' scary dude. However, it didn't stick with me and I was able to sleep undisturbed that very evening. Christina Ricci is by turns sweet and creepy, and Johnny Depp works his strangely androgynous charm to great effect in this very atmospheric movie.

Number 3: The Omen (1976 version with Gregory Peck)

I watched this on a dare in high school, and it did give me nightmares for weeks. It is a classic piece of film, though. And I have a thing for Gregory Peck, which tempered the horror of the movie (except the dog scene...shiver).

Number 2: It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

A classic for anyone raised in the 1980's. It used to be de riguer every Halloween to be entertained by Charlie and Snoopy while we traded candy post trick-or-treating. I'm not sure if it is played on TV anymore, more the shame.

Number 1: Hocus Pocus

I should probably be embarrased, but I LOVE this movie. If I am on the couch sick, this is what I want to watch. Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker (very pre-Sex in the City), and Magee from NCIS as a teenager make up part of the cast. It's an engaging story for all ages. However, if small children are watching, I'd skip forward when you see the cop. Unless you want to have a discussion about what 'virgin' means with your 5 year old.

Hope you enjoy all the great Halloween movies out there!

No comments: