Friday, October 17, 2008

Recipe - Sour Milk Scones

image from Flickr member alexhung

I got an email from my cousin this week which said a friend of hers was looking for a scone recipe and she thought of me because I make great scones. I didn't realize I had any kind of scone reputation, though I do think my recipe is quite tasty.

1/2 cup milk, any fat content
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour (not sifted)
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
white sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 425.

Stir lemon juice into milk and let curdle (yes, it looks gross, but just trust me). Should take 5-10 minutes.

In large mixing bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together. Add chilled butter pieces and work into a fine meal by rubbing between fingers or using a pastry blender or 2 forks to work the butter into the flour mixture.

Pour soured milk into butter and flour mixture. Mix with a fork until combined. Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a 7 inch diameter disc on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Brush with melted butter and dust with sugar. Cut into 6 wedges with a sharp knife. Bake for 10 minutes until golden.

No comments: