Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Recipe - Orange Fennel Salad and Steak

Day 113


When I cook, I love experimenting with different ways to make food 'go' together. I blame my art background for always wanting a theme, repetition, harmony and contrast in my meals. The same ideas that make paintings and sculpture interesting and beautiful easily translate to food. One of my favorite techniques is to use a theme ingredient (or two) in several different ways for a meal. With this idea in mind, I made a supper last week that featured the flavors of orange and fennel.


I made a simple salad from this cookbook I picked up while in California (and already love to pieces). It's a simple mixture of slices oranges and fresh fennel, capers, oil and vinegar. Then I made a rub for a pair of sirloin steaks with the zest from an orange, fennel seeds, garlic, salt, pepper and a little vegetable oil to hold it all together. I broiled the steaks, plated the salads, and enjoyed the different flavors the orange and fennel brought to each dish.


Fennel and orange steak

No comments: