Thursday, June 19, 2008

Recipe - Chicken and Garlic Stew

Dutch ovens

During my visit last week, I accompanied my aunt to buy her first ever dutch oven. My mom and I assured her she would use it all the time. So, this week she tried it out. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any recipes, and she called for advice the other evening. I love my (several) dutch ovens and really do use them all the time, so I promised to send her some recipes. The husband particularly loves this one. So, if you are a lucky owner of your very own dutch oven, try this out one evening. It seems like a lot of garlic, but it really mellows after an hour and a half in the oven. For a complete meal, make a green salad, get some crusty bread to lather with the garlic, and drink the rest of the bottle of wine. This serves 2 heartily.

Day 279

Ingredients:
5-6 chicken legs, skin and any fat removed*
1 head garlic, cloves separated but left unpeeled
1 cup white wine dry white wine
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
salt and pepper to taste
optional, one onion or potato, peeled and cut into large wedges

* Normally, I'm all for chicken skin and fat. However, the skin and fat don't brown in the dutch oven, they just liquefy and leave a layer of molten greasiness over everything.

Chicken and Garlic Stew

Preheat oven to 375. Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven, mixing well. Cover with lid and cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Enjoy!

Chicken and Garlic Stew

No comments: