Saturday, January 10, 2009

Parties - After Holiday-Holiday Party

Black, white, silver table setting

My local group of good friends normally has our own holiday celebration each year. This year, though, we couldn't make it happen before New Year's. So last Saturday, I hosted our 'After Holiday - Holiday Party.' I wanted to beef up my skills by doing a real sit-down 4 course supper, so I strong-armed them into agreeing to be my guinea pigs. I also used it as an excuse to use my pretty china and crystal.

Black, white, silver table setting

I chose a white, black, and silver theme for the table. I pulled together some ornaments that hadn't made it back to storage yet and filled up a few glass pieces with them for an easy centerpiece. I also tossed a few votive candles around for good measure.

Black, white, silver table setting

Some ribbon and paper scraps joined together made a quick napkin ring that doubled as a seating place card.

Olives. pecans, mushrooms

I set out olives, nuts, and marinated mushrooms to snack on while we waited for everyone to arrive and I finished up the last items for supper.

Butternut squash soup

I started the meal with a creamy butternut squash soup. I love it's pretty color, and with the help of an immersion blender, it could not be easier to make. I tossed a few roasted pecans on top for garnish.

Chopped salad

The second course was a simple chopped vegetable salad dressed with just a little oil and vinegar. The main course was a leg of lamb roasted with fennel butter and a red wine sauce. I also made individual portions of goat cheese potatoes au gratin in ramekins. However, it was all so good, that by the time I remembered I need to take a picture, this was all that was left!

Day 3

Most of my guests are not big on sweets, so I kept it simple for dessert with an apple cider granita and homemade whipped cream. I had also planned on a cheese course, but we were all so stuffed that we agreed to pass on the cheese, which nearly never happens! We ended the evening by burning off some of the calories from dinner with a competetive Wii bowling tournament.

No comments: