Friday, July 9, 2010

Fri-DIY Pickling

Pickling

Something a little different for this Fri-DIY... how do you feel about pickles? Me - I love them. I have yet to meet a pickle that I did not enjoy, and that includes eggs and pigs feet. I am a self-professed vinegar junkie so pickling is right up my alley.

Pickling

When you add the magic of preserving in a boiling-water bath, the reward of shelf-stable homemade pickles all year entices me to make a batch nearly every weekend all summer long. I am a self-taught pickler, I alas did not have the guidance of a mom or grandma to raise me in the pickling tradition. However, the process is not difficult and can be mastered easily as long as you can chop some vegetables and follow instructions.

pickling guide_Page_1

I taught a class a few weeks ago about how to make simple vegetable pickles and wrote out an instruction pamphlet for everyone. I've posted the pages up on Flickr so you can download them and get to pickling, too! There are 2 recipes, one for sweet refrigerator pickles and one for sour shelf-stable pickles. If you try one out and get stuck, just drop me an email and I'll be glad to help you out.

No comments: