Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Recipe - A Little Chocolate Cake


After my viewing of Chocolat yesterday, I wanted to whip up something chocolatey. I had some buttermilk in the fridge that needed to be used up, so I used that as a starting point. A search at epicurious, though, turned up only layer and sheet cakes. I just wanted a little cake, nothing fancy, and nothing as big as a sheet cake. So, I adapted the chocolate cake recipe on the side of the Hershey's Cocoa package. It was for a layer cake, as well, so I reduced the ingredients and substituted buttermilk for plain milk. I was pretty impressed with the results. The cake is dense and moist, no icing or glaze necessary, though a dollop of sweetened whipped cream would be good. The batter also came together very quickly, and you only have to dirty one bowl.

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour one 9 inch round cake pan.

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, mixing well. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer set to medium for 2 minutes. Add boiling water and mix thoroughly. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

This is the last post for the week as I leave tomorrow for a real Wednesday World Travel. Assuming good weather, I'll have pictures and a full report next week. If the weather doesn't cooperate, I'll have several book reviews to post. :)

No comments: